Celebrate the arrival of apple season! Embrace the opportunity to handpick your own crisp, juicy apples while indulging in a host of family-friendly activities at these orchards. Typically, you can expect to pay approximately $10 for a half-peck of these delicious fruits. To ensure your visit goes smoothly, make sure to verify apple availability with the orchard before planning your trip. It’s the perfect opportunity for taking Instagram-worthy photos and creating cherished family memories this fall.
1. B.J. Reece Orchards Located in Ellijay, a scenic drive from South Atlanta, B.J. Reece Orchards is a must-visit destination for fall enthusiasts. With over 120 acres of apple trees, you can pick your own apples, enjoy wagon rides, navigate through a corn maze, and savor mouthwatering apple treats at their bakery. The 2023 picking season takes place Aug. 22 through Oct. 29.
Location: 9131 GA-52, Ellijay
2. Hillcrest Orchards Just a short drive from South Atlanta, Hillcrest Orchards in Ellijay offers a delightful escape into the heart of apple country. They have apple picking, petting farms, pig races, and a giant jumping pillow to keep the kids entertained. Don’t forget to taste their famous apple cider donuts! The 2023 season runs from Sept. 2 until the apples are picked.
Location: 9696 GA-52, Ellijay
3. Mercier Orchards Nestled in Blue Ridge, Mercier Orchards is a charming orchard offering not only apple picking but also an expansive market with a variety of local products. They even have a winery and a delightful restaurant serving apple-infused dishes. It’s a perfect spot for a full day of fall fun. Visit the website to see what’s in season and to plan your visit. The 2023 picking season takes place Sept. 16 through Oct. 1.
Location: 8660 Blue Ridge Dr, Blue Ridge
4. R&A Orchards At R & A Orchards west of Ellijay, you can find 18 different kinds of apples for sale as well as preserves and cider. Group farm tours are available.To stay updated on the current apple varieties in season, be sure to visit their website. The 2023 picking season takes place Sept. 2 through Oct. 29.
Location: 5505 GA-52, Ellijay
5. Red Apple Barn Head to Ellijay to discover the rustic charm of Red Apple Barn. This family-owned orchard offers apple picking, tractor rides, and a country store where you can find homemade goodies and apple-themed gifts. Apple Picking is on weekends from September – November or until all the apples are picked.
Location:3379 Tailscreek Rd., Ellijay
For more things to do as the cooler weather hits, check out our community event calendar.